2018 Full-Time Orchard Positions
About The Cider Farm
- We are an expanding, organically managed apple orchard growing specialty apples to make The Cider Farm apple brandy and ciders. Both products are made under contract off-farm.
- We have been grafting and purchasing trees. About 9000 trees are in the orchard and 3000 are in the tree nursery. We will expand to at least 20,000 trees within five years.
- We are reclaiming over 60 ac of timberland from invasive species.
- We are establishing 35-acres of prairie, windbreaks, and pollinator habitat adjacent to orchard blocks.
- Our farm hosts research and educational initiatives.
- Ability to appropriately balance speed and quality of work.
- Strong verbal communication skills and ability to follow directions, particularly regarding safety.
- The work is very physical and outdoors. You must be able to frequently lift 30 to 50 lbs.; to bend and squat for work at the tree base; to run weedwackers.
- Experience in horticultural production is desired, while previous orchard work is a plus. Mechanical skills are highly desired. Experience managing others is a plus; the right person could move into managerial responsibilities.
The work is diverse and changes from week to week, if not day to day. Work includes, but is not limited to:
- Graft apple and pear trees.
- Move or erect deer fencing.
- Dig out and plant trees.
- Water and stake or trellis trees. Attach trees to stakes or trellising.
- Prune trees. Apply limb spreaders and other tree training devices.
- Apply or remove tree guards.
- Weeding – Hand weed and operate a weedwacker cautiously around trees or electric fencing.
- Assist with prairie burns. Sow cover crop or prairie seed.
- Apply hay mulch or horse manure.
- Monitor for disease and insect pests.
- Spray trees with NOP-approved materials with a backpack sprayer.
- Harvest apples.
- Help with, if not manage, apple pressings keeping track of varieties and amounts pressed.
- Spray garlic mustard in early spring or late fall with herbicide. Hand-pull garlic mustard at other times.
- Clean small and large equipment.
Dates and Times of Work
- February through November, weather permitting, Monday through Friday. A few weekends, if needed.
- Starting wage depends on experience and qualifications and ranges from $8 to $15 per hour.
- Hourly wage can be adjusted pending work performance and length of service.
- Orchard management opportunities available for the right person.
- Send a cover letter, resume, as well as three employer references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org