Orchard Workers Needed – Full-time and Part-time
About The Cider Farm
- We are an expanding, organically managed apple orchard growing specialty apples to make The Cider Farm apple brandy and ciders.
- Over 5000 trees are in the orchard and over 2000 are in the tree nursery. We will expand to at least 20,000 trees within five years.
- We are reclaiming over 60 ac of timberland from invasive species.
- We are establishing 35-acres of prairie, windbreaks, and pollinator habitat adjacent to orchard blocks.
- Our farm hosts research and educational initiatives.
- Ability to appropriately balance speed and quality of work.
- Strong verbal communication skills and ability to follow directions, particularly regarding your safety.
- The work is physical and outdoors. You must be able to frequently lift 30 to 50 lbs.; to bend and squat for work at the tree base; to run weedwackers with brush-cutting blades; to carry and use a tree ladder.
- Experience in horticultural production is desired, and mechanical skills are highly desired, Previous orchard work is a plus as is experience managing others. The right person could move into a managerial position.
The work is diverse and changes from week to week, if not day to day. Work includes, but is not limited to:
- Graft apple and pear trees.
- Move or erect deer fencing.
- Dig out and plant trees.
- Water and stake or trellis trees. Attach trees to stakes or trellising.
- Prune trees. Apply limb spreaders and other tree training devices.
- Apply or remove tree guards.
- Weeding – Hand weed and operate a weedwacker cautiously around trees or electric fencing.
- Assist with prairie burns. Sow cover crop or prairie seed.
- Apply hay mulch or horse manure.
- Monitor for disease and insect pests.
- Spray trees with NOP-approved materials with a backpack sprayer.
- Harvest apples.
- Help with, if not manage, apple pressings keeping track of varieties and amounts pressed.
- Spray garlic mustard in early spring or late fall with herbicide. Hand-pull garlic mustard at other times.
- Clean small and large equipment.
Dates and Times of Work
- February through November, weather permitting. Part-time and full-time workers needed. The most demanding and critical months are April, May, September and October.
- Starting wage depends on experience and qualifications and ranges from $8 to $15 per hour.
- Hourly wage can be adjusted pending work performance and length of service.
- Send a cover letter, resume, as well as three employer references by email to deirdre@TheCiderFarm.com